Pages

25 April 2015

5 Things British People Do That Australians Are Confused By

Hello everybody!

I am from a place in south-east England called Kent, but I moved to Australia when I was younger. Although I live in Australia, I am still very British. I got thinking, so I've compiled a list of 10 things that British people do that Australians either don't do, or are confused by.

1. "Sorry"

British people tend to say sorry a lot. I do this all the time, even in situations where I have no reason for apologising. I will often say sorry when it is somebody else's fault. I was in Brisbane on the train the other day with my friend Alex, and we were at one of the main stations, and we got off the train, and this woman was running for the train, accidentally bumped into me (as I was getting off the train), and I turned around and said sorry. Alex just looked at me and said "She bumped into you, and you're apologising?!"

I also say sorry when I don't hear someone. Quite often, Australians will tend to say "what" when they want somebody to repeat something they have said. If I need someone to repeat something, I will just say "Sorry?". This usually results in the person I am speaking to being very confused as to why I am apologising.

2. "Do you want a cup of tea?"

Why is it that everyone is really confused when they come to my house and I offer them a cup of tea? When I have guests at my house, the first thing I do when they arrive is offer them a cup of tea, but no one ever excepts. Everyone just gives me a strange look.

I think just tea in general confuses people. I have friends who call me an old lady because I drink tea.

3. The English Breakfast

A full English breakfast includes fried egg, sausages, bacon, mushrooms, baked means, hash browns, fried bread and fried tomato.

I recently discovered what Australians find it strange that we have sausages with a fried breakfast.

What..

Who doesn't have sausages with an English breakfast???


4. "Yoghurt"

So everyone seems to be confused about how I say yoghurt. In England, it is pronounced like "yog-ert", but in Australia, it seems to be pronounced more like "yo-gert". Because I grew up in England, I have always said it the English way, and all through primary school in Australia, everyone used to pick on me for "not saying it properly". Even now, because don't understand what I mean when I say yoghurt.

5. Flat vs. Apartment

I've always said flat. I feel this is a little bit English, my parents say flat, my grandparents say flat, on Hollyoaks they say flat...And then the other week in Business class, we were reading this case study about apartments, and my teacher asked "And by his property, it is referring to...", and I said "His flat." This launched a twenty minute lecture about the difference between apartments and flats, and how I "wasn't speaking properly, and now I am in Australia I need to speak like an Australian".

He isn't the first person to gets confused by flat and apartment. Many Australians I have spoken to have been confused when I talk about "when I lived in a flat".

Does anyone else in Australia get confused by these things? Or does any English people in Australia have anything else that Australians get confused by? While I was writing this, I thought of heaps more things, so keep an eye out for a part 2 of this post (and probably part 3, part 4, part 5...)

<3

No comments:

Post a Comment